Dance at Faith Presbyterian ChurchEnter the gym from the back door (NE corner of building, on the east side)
*Times are shown through Google calendars, and reflect your local time zone. The normal start time is 7:00 p.m. CDT.
The North Alabama Country Dance Society (NACDS) is a nonprofit group of folks who love to dance. We put on two or three contra dances a month (on the 1st, 3rd, and most 5th Saturdays), and a yearly contra dance weekend. NACDS is an affiliate of the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS)[>
- What Should I Expect?
- Explains cost, suggests what to wear, and some other basics like that.
- What is contra dancing?
- Contra dancing is fun, simple, and social dancing. This is a collection of definitions from Gary Shapiro.
- Intro to Contra Dance on YouTube
- Atlanta's Chattahoochee Country Dancers made a set of videos, available from YouTube, showing the basics of contra.
- Map to Dance
- We normally dance in the gym of Faith Presbyterian Church, on the corner of Airport and Whitesburg.
- Area schedule
- Regular dances and weekends from Nashville, Birmingham, and Huntsville.
- Blue Moon Weekend
- Every May, NACDS hosts a welcoming and wonderful contra dance weekend.
- For Bands and Callers
- If you're interested in calling or playing for a Huntsville dance, contact our Producer, Jane Ewing.
- Constitution and Bylaws of NACDS
- The rules by which we operate, must recently updated on March 1, 2014. To summarize, we're a nonprofit, 501c3 affiliate of the CDSS. The group is run by a Board of Directors that includes the elected officers and elected committee heads. The Board is advised by the steering committee, an ad hoc group of all who are interested enough to join the Steering Committee email list. Board meeting are typically open and announced on the Steering Committee mailing list, and sometimes in dance announcement emails.
Participate in the NACDS Community!
- Sign up now for 2018! Receive discounts on admission, and a membership directory for a nominal yearly fee.
- It's our members and our donors that make NACDS possible. It's easy to donate, and donations are tax deductible!
- NACDS on Facebook
Our Group on Facebook includes regular links to great dance pictures, local discussion, and notices of events!
- There is an announcement list for everyone, a Community Group list for interactive discussion (for ride sharing discussions, out of town events, etc.), and the Steering Committee Group list for group business.